Join Pew Research Center’s Digital team – manage the Pew Research Center web properties, create interactive data visualizations, and build interactive web applications atop our custom WordPress web application.
Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; science and society; religion and public life; Hispanic trends; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research Center does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. The Center’s work is carried out by a staff of about 150.
The Senior Developer will be a member of the Digital team that manages the Pew Research Center web properties and creates interactive data visualizations. The primary focus of this position will be building interactive web applications atop our custom WordPress web application.
- Collaborate with data architects, product managers, research, design digital staff, and lead developer in the continued development and maintenance of our WordPress news app and custom interactive editorial products.
- Ensure that all code is error-free, maintainable, and scales to handle a high number of concurrent, complex transactions.
- Provide quality assurance and testing of other team members’ code.
- Maintain comprehensive technical documentation and contribute to style guides.
- Work with IT Systems and Dev/Ops Engineer to ensure application security and stability.
- Understanding of web standards, usability and human-user interaction philosophies and their application to web and mobile development, navigation, information architecture and content hierarchy.
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to build and maintain strong relationships with project stakeholders.
- Ability to be creative and innovative, set priorities, organize time and identify resources for projects.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to clearly explain complex technical problems to less technical users.
- Ability to review designs/wireframes, point out potential development concerns, and create user stories based on designs.
- Ability to write and maintain user and system documentation for applications and processes
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three to five years professional experience developing web, mobile and other digital projects.
- Three years WordPress plugin and theme development experience required.
- Experience with React a plus.
- Demonstrated experience working with REST APIs, preferably in a read/write manner.
- Understanding of common data storage techniques a plus.
- Experience with a version management system (Git preferred).
- Experience with Responsive Design principles and coding (including media queries) a plus.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment a plus.