Senior Backend Developer with advanced WordPress experience to join our team.
Modern Tribe, is looking for a Senior Backend Developer with advanced WordPress experience to join our team. Do you have a near encyclopedic knowledge of what was included in the last few major WordPress releases? Could you go toe to toe in a WordPress coding standard battle? Do you dream in WordPress? We want to meet you!
The Backend developer gig at Modern Tribe will offer you the opportunity to become a leader within our tribe. You will be helping to build and inspire an awesome dev team working on innovative and large scale WordPress installations. We are looking for a backend developer that is already actively working in the WordPress website and plugin development field. You need to be up to speed and knowledgeable about the most recent releases and standards of WordPress. We want you to be as excited and as passionate as we are about what we are creating with the platform.
Experienced WordPress developers only!
Who We Are
Modern Tribe, Inc. is a rapidly growing software & design company. We develop custom solutions for some of the world’s largest companies, government institutions and smaller growing organizations. We pride ourselves on our ability to bridge people and technology and to bring the passion and dedication of an entrepreneur to every project. Our team is composed of talented employees and freelancers around North & South America (and a smattering across the globe).
Who You Are
We love working with each other because we have built a culture that suits us well. We work primarily with freelancers and coordinate their talents for large projects. To be on our team, you must be:
HAPPY Where there is a will, there is a way. Having a positive disposition allows us to achieve great things and to support each other.
HELPFUL Always looking for ways that you can help others.
CURIOUS It is essential that you have a passion for learning. Technology changes daily, and life has a way of constantly raising the bar.
ACCOUNTABLE Our clients expect us to get the right thing done on budget and on time. Communicating expectations and meeting them is the cornerstone of success.
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working as part of a remote team
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented
- Strong organizational skills
- A methodical approach to all tasks
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and complete tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines
- Ability to work remotely with little-to-no supervision is a must
- Excited to be part of a team with the potential for a long term relationship
- Fluent English speaker
Knowledge & Experience
- 3-5 years experience working as a backend web developer on production sites
- 3+ years experience working on WordPress sites
- Extensive experience implementing complex WordPress sites
- Skilled at crafting modern PHP
- A comprehensive understanding of what it takes to write secure and performant code
- Thorough knowledge of WordPress, PHP and MySQL
- Excellent understanding of OOP, software development life cycle and better practices
- Experience working with at least one automated testing framework
- Experience with continuous integration and automated deployment pipelines
- Unit Testing
- Experience with WPML
- Experience with server technologies like Redis or ElasticSearch
- Remote work experience
As a Senior WordPress Backend Developer at Modern Tribe, some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Collaborate with the project strategist to articulate the best technological solution for the problem at hand
- Analyze user story acceptance criteria to ensure the technical feasibility and point out potential issues
- Work with a team of developers to deliver on time, on budget and on scope
Architect and develop broadly compatible new products, features, and bug fixes with consideration for accessibility, performance, and multilingual installations
- Write high quality code with readability, efficiency and maintainability in mind
- Develop and maintain complex WordPress-based applications
- Implement complex features using modern PHP code and patterns while following standards
- Code review the work of other developers
- Improve our internal tools, libraries and standards
- Actively participate in our scrum meetings
- Work with the team to diagnose and resolve backend bugs and support requests
- Mentor junior developers
Pay range is between $50-$80 USD per hour commensurate with qualifications and experience. For this gig we are looking for both Full Time hires and freelance contract roles of 15-20 hours per week of work. We are always seeking longer relationships with kick-ass people.
Given the nature of this role, we’re exclusively seeking applicants located in North America who have a perfect command of the English language. Please do not apply if you are not totally fluent in English or are located / work outside of traditional U.S. business hours.