A web developer position at the Snopes.com.
To apply for this job please visit snopes.breezy.hr.
Snopes, the oldest, most reputable fact-checking website in the U.S., is seeking an experienced web developer to build and augment websites, tools, and applications that will lead the fight against misinformation.
We need someone with exceptional WordPress skills, as well as a passion for bringing millions of savvy readers a superior Snopes experience. We have myriad projects on deck we are excited to see you take over the finish line, but we also want fresh ideas on how we can better support our newsroom and community engagement efforts.
We need someone that can effectively balance the daily troubleshooting and necessary day-dreaming that produces technical solutions that turn heads. Working as a part of a full-stack product team, the Web Developer is responsible for all aspects of the ongoing web development on Snopes.com from initial specification, through to developing, testing, and launching.
Web Developer responsibilities are:
- Develop and extend Wordpress themes and plugins using strict standards and best practices.
- Produce well-designed, testable, efficient code using best practices by today’s software development standards.
- Build website layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices.
- Utilize data from various back-end services and databases.
- Collect and review specifications and requirements based on technical needs.
- Prepare and maintain software documentation.
- Maintain, expand, and scale our site as assigned.
- Keep up-to-date with emerging technologies and industry trends and apply them into operations and activities.
Web Developer requirements are:
- Practical understanding of building high-traffic PHP and JS-based web applications.
- Professional experience in creating custom Wordpress solutions with the following tools: Github, Webpack, local virtual environments (e.g. Vagrant, Docker).
- Good experience with relational database systems, Object Oriented Programming and web application development.
- Excellent knowledge of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices.
- Excellent knowledge of modern HTML/CSS.
- Understanding of Search Engine Optimization.
- Strong problem solving skills with a creative approach.
- Strong organisational skills with a good ability to prioritize tasks.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment; eagerto master new diverse web technologies and techniques.
- Effectively communicates across departments in a remote-work environment.
To apply, please submit a recent portfolio that represents your current technical ability. This job is non-management and fully remote. We will consider either part-time or full-time candidates for this position.
Snopes.com is an independent publication owned and operated by Snopes Media Group. We are slightly more than a baker’s dozen of reporters, editors, developers, and professionals passionate about journalism, media literacy, and, of course, fighting misinformation. We work remotely — there is no official Snopes office — but we maintain a collaborative and supportive team dynamic. Learn more about our work and history here.