Backend Developer for WordPress Troubleshooting and Development
Valet is looking to add a Back End Developer to our team. We are a Professional Website Management team that provides our clients with resources to grow the infrastructure of their website in conjunction with their businesses.
This position is ideal for someone with a wide range of Back End experience that can comfortably move between a number of open projects. He or She should be able to work with a team to scope and deliver projects on time and within budget. Our projects range in size and we do have the occasional need to reshuffle projects to tackle priority or emergency items.
Typical duties of this position include:
- Working with WordPress
- Scoping development based on client’s end goals and best practices
- Working with team to bring feature requests reasonably within budget
- Troubleshooting and debugging complex issues
- Building websites that are scalable, fast, and secure
- Refactoring code to improve performance/features
- Writing development specs for developers and clients
- Researching and testing functionality, performance, etc.
Candidates that are able to demonstrate their programming capabilities with code samples and a portfolio will be preferred.
Skills & Requirements
Our ideal candidate will possess the following technical skills necessary to succeed in the position:
- 2-4 Years Experience
- Strong migration project related knowledge (understanding of WordPress database schema, migrating data, DNS record handling)
- Basic knowledge of caching methods and techniques
- Basic knowledge of HTML5/CSS
- Using git and common branching methods for feature/bug work
- WordPress (basic theme development, strong plugin development and high knowledge of actions/filters)
- Ability to work on remote and local development environments
- Exceptional communication and ability to communicate progress and deadlines
- Appreciation of emojis
Preferred Skills (Not necessary, but preferred)
- PhpStorm Fluency
- OOP concepts
- Ability to use a CLI interface
- Basic server administration knowledge / know your way around a linux environment
- Comfortable working with API’s, RESTful requests, and common authentication methods
- Basic knowledge of NPM, dependency management (Composer, Yarn, etc), and bundlers/task runners (e.g. Grunt, Gulp, Webpack)
- Ability/preference to work locally (e.g. Vagrant, MAMP, XAMPP, etc)
- Active member in developer community forums like StackExchange
- Active member of any community that likes to “give back”
What we expect:
- Communication and the ability to set expectations must be top notch
- Always seek out context of a task/project before tackling it in order to understand the entire picture
- Confident and positive engagement with clients
- Active participation in Valet meetings
- Feedback and contribution to the team
- Eagerness to learn
- Transparency with workload or needs
- Understanding of the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars
All Valet team members are required to own their work and tasks. You must be able to give feedback as well as take it. Communication is crucial to our team, internally as well as externally.
We have 5 core values that we require of all Valets: Leadership, Tenacity, Humility, Integrity, and Excellence. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you.