We’re looking for a Full-time WordPress Developer who is passionate about sustainable web design and development to join our dynamic team!
To apply for this job please visit wholegraindigital.bamboohr.com.
About the role
Wholegrain Digital is a world leader in sustainable web design and development. We are looking for a Senior WordPress Developer who is self-driven, has a high attention to detail, and excellent technical capabilities. If this sounds like you and you’d like to work in a company that puts the environment at the heart of everything we do, then please get in touch!
This is a full-time, remote position in an open and relaxed environment. You will be required to attend our London office Somerset House occasionally for our team days and client meetings, and also meetings at client offices in London.
As a developer, you will be expected to develop bespoke WordPress themes (not a theme modification) and plugins to match the project requirements. In most cases, you would be provided a website designed in Sketch, with a functional specification detailing expected functionality. The end result should be pixel perfect, accessible, responsive, efficient (low carbon emissions), secure, and performant. We also have a number of retainer clients so there will also be varied support and maintenance tasks to carry out.
Does this sound like you?
- Advanced understanding of WordPress
- Highly experienced in PHP, HTML, SCSS, and JS development, with considerable experience developing custom WordPress themes and plugins
- Experience working as part of a development team
- Good problem-solving skills and the ability to think clearly and logically
- Solid knowledge of and passion for the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), including WCAG 2.0 and WCAG 2.1
- Experience with multilingual and multi-site WordPress installs
- Experience with Version Control systems (Git)
- Can work to deadline and juggle competing priorities
- Willingness to take ownership of projects
- Experience using build tools (Gulp, Webpack, Sass)
- Experience with automated deployment
- Experience integrating third-party APIs
- Understanding of the fundamentals of DNS configurations, CDNs, and SSL.
Bonus points for:
- Experience maintaining build tools
- Developed an open-source theme or plugin, or given a talk.
Are you the right sort of person?
We are looking for someone who has the above skills to do the job, but perhaps more importantly, we are looking for someone who has the right attitude and who shares our vision to create a sustainable business and to help green the web.
- Be a proactive communicator
- Have the ability to communicate without jargon
- Instinctively look to always help those around you
- Be a confident facilitator, able to lead a group to conclusions without ego or personal bias
- Enjoy variety and have the ability to switch
- Always strive to make things better
- Have an eagerness to learn
- Believe in the importance of standardisation and processes
- A passion for finding new solutions and approaches and being a champion for these in your team
- Keen to mentor and share knowledge with other developers
- Have the ability to understand the business requirements of Wholegrain and our clients
- Have the ability to work under pressure, with high attention to detail
- Have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be naturally honest and dependable.
Compensation and benefits:
This is a remote role, we occasionally would ask you to spend one of your working days in our London office for client meetings and team days, but at the moment under the Government COVID-19 Guidance, you will not be required to; you will be working from home.
- Competitive salary with pension, the range for this role is: £35k to £42k
- 22 days of paid holiday + 8 bank holidays
- Birthday off
- Flexible working
- Renewable energy rewards
- Perks through work
- Paid travel to events in Europe
- Somerset House discounts
- Free bike access
- Company Maternity/Paternity Pay
- Company Sick Pay
- Work for a sustainable, ethical company: we are a B Corp!
Our Recruitment Process:
If we like the look of your cv and portfolio, we’ll be in touch to organise an initial telephone call to get to know you better.
From there, we’ll ask you to complete a development test that we’ve put together
If you’ve wowed us with your coding skills, we’ll invite you to attend a face-face interview with our Developers, People team, and our Directors. (Due to Covid-19, we will be conducting interviews via Google Hangout)
How To Apply:
We get a lot of good CVs but what we are really looking for is a remarkable individual. Please ensure you attach a cover letter, CV, and samples of your code with your application. Please note, we will only be in contact with successful applicants.