Also, auto-update functionality for themes and plugins may be coming in WordPress 5.5. There's much work still to do, but the animations and screenshots in this post by Jean-Baptiste Audras indicate how it may work in the theme and plugin admin screens.
- Squarespace has 4.9M sites using Let's Encrypt for SSL (97% of their customers) and Automattic has 4.3M sites, or 96% of the total.
- Both are significantly ahead of Wix (3.9M sites, 85%) in their Let's Encrypt deployments.
We often share items about accessibility, which has been a consistent effort for WordPress, but if you wonder how Squarespace, Wix, and Weebly are faring with it, read this review from Terrill Thompson.
Carolina Nymark noted only 11 themes in the WordPress.org theme directory add custom block styles. No themes use the server-side rendering for block styles added in 5.3. Carolina is right: “theme authors need to adopt this faster.”
Riad Benguella presents some performance improvement and monitoring techniques that can be used in any React/Redux application, based on his work and observations with Gutenberg. 💨
If you attended WordCamp US last year, please fill out this survey to let them know about your experience and what you want to see this year in St. Louis. 🏕️
A critical security update was recently issued for Duplicator that Wordfence reported as affecting over a million WordPress sites. 🔓
Duplicator users should update to version 1.3.28 as soon as possible.
Are you working in a “feature factory?” “Just sitting in the factory, cranking out features, and sending them down the line?” 🏭
It appears Google users in the UK will be losing EU data protection
I forgot how UTM refers to Urchin — Analytics' predecessor, acquired by Google in 2005.
If you try to keep up with podcasting, then this article from Tom Webster is a must-read. Tom talks about the newly formed Podcast Academy and shares some market survey data.
Notably, Americans over the age of 12 who listen to podcasts each month grew from 17% in 2015 to 32% in 2019. 🎙️
Video and Podcast Picks of the Week
📹 Here's the video pick of the week:
- Beth Livingston, Jessi Gurr, Mickey Mellen, and Nathan Ingram led an interesting discussion on the business panel at WordCamp Birmingham 2019.
🎙️ Here are some podcasts I've listened to recently that are worth your time:
- Mixergy interviewed Pagely co-founder Sally Strebel about “the crazy hours” it took in the early days “to make this business happen.”
- Bill Jones shares his knowledge about user-centric data, privacy strategies, the GDPR, and more on the Press This podcast.