WordPress 5.4 RC2 is available now with the final release still on target for March 31. 📅
Eileen Violini reports on the progress being made toward block-based themes.
Jb Audras has an update about progress toward auto-updates for themes and plugins.
Earlier this week Cory Miller sat down with Dr. Sherry Walling to discuss her tips and advice for managing fear, anxiety and uncertainty.
- Get some big deep breaths — Four slow seconds in, four slow seconds out. 😤
- Refocus on gratitude — What are you thankful for? 🙏🏻
- Have your inner voice of worry make an appointment — Put it on a schedule that’s not 24/7. Listen to it; it’s there to protect you, but once its time is up, move on. 🗓️
- Connect with others daily — Social distancing doesn’t mean losing connection. Do lunch or a snack or a quick break. Try virtual coworking. 👩💻
- Have playtime — Maybe that's Legos, cooking, or pulling out your old musical instruments. 🎺
- Get your heart rate up with exercise — Like a family dance competition, yoga, or pushups. 🤾♀️
- Limit your news consumption to 15 minutes a day. 🔇
- For single people living alone and missing physical touch: Find a soft comfortable and perhaps heavy blanket, take a hot bath. 🛀
- For entrepreneurs: Remember, you can’t do everything yourself and you can’t fix everything by yourself. In fact, we’re all in this together, especially your team. “Leadership means you're hosting the conversation. You're listening. you're engaging, it doesn't mean that you are the ultimate decider.” 👂
Today Cory's friend and psychologist Dr. Nick Wignall is also offering Office Hours and Q&A.
Rebecca Gill offers some COVID-19 communication suggestions for your clients.
🏕️ The call for speakers for WordCamp US 2020 (October 27-29) has been issued. 🤞
mycamp.rocks has a growing directory of virtual WordPress meetups and conferences.
🤙 If you are a meetup or conference organizer, please reach out to David Bisset and he'll add your event to the list.
Gutenberg Hub recently launched a collection of block templates with 100 section templates spread over 12 section types. Just copy and paste them into the editor.
Many companies and individuals — both inside and outside the WordPress space — recently offered reduced or free versions of their products. 🎁
- Igor Benić made his WordPress developer course for free using this link for a limited time.
- The Events Calendar folks are making Promoter free through June 1, 2020. This is an automated email marketing tool for events.
- Mendel Kurland is opening his time to help anyone with WordPress and WooCommerce sites.
- Mailster.co is offering 50% off of all its products.
- ElegantMarketplace is offering a 25% discount on everything until March 22nd.
- Yoast is currently offering its All-Around SEO Training course for free.
- Jeseph Meyers is offering “WordPress, PHP, CSS and other work for free (small projects, significant discount for large projects) to any small business through the end of April, no strings attached.”
- Angela Bowman is offering LearnDash and membership plugin install services.
- WPmobile.app, a mobile app theme, is 70% off. Discount code: STAYSAFE.
- Elegant Modules is offering a 60% discount on products which include modules for Gutenberg and several page builders. Discount code: HELPING2020.
- Chris Lema is offering his eBooks for 90% off.
- SliceWP is offering a free one year premium license over the next two months. Discount code: TOGETHER.
- WP Trads has kindly made the French translation of the WordPress extension of LMS Learndash available for free.
- WPOwl is offering your first month of hosting for £1. Discount code: COVID19.
- Rough Pixels has set up a 50% discount on any purchase. Discount code: RP50.
- Zoom is temporarily offering a free version of their pro tier for K-12 schools.
- Sling TV is offering free streaming for some content — including youth programming. (Great if your kids are home while you are working at home too.)
Also, be sure to check out the Post Status Deals page.
“Working remotely is much less scary than it may feel like at first. It’s much less about the tools than it is about the people.”
Check out remote.tools too — a directory of products for remote workers. 🛠️
The Clone Page Tree plugin adds an action to the page row actions for duplicating the entire hierarchy of parent and child pages. 🌳
Wordfence has launched Fast or Slow, which was born from the idea “to develop a way to measure real-world performance from around the world, and an easy way to read and interpret the results.” 💨
This free online service provides you with an overall score of your site's performance along with a summary and breakdown of factors impacting performance.
I took a few moments to kick the tires, and I was impressed with the information I got. It was easy to see the differences visible to visitors in the United States versus those in Brazil, India, or South Africa.
Drupal‘s founder and project lead, Dries Buytaert, asks, “Is open source is recession-proof?” Looking back over the past, Dries think open source “will continue to grow and win.” He is “optimistic” it “will continue to grow and expand, and that it can help many individuals and organizations along the way.” ✌️
Ben Pines of Elementor suggests four ways to prepare for the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on your business:
- Keep expenses to a minimum.
- Sort and prioritize your portfolio.
- Learn new skills.
- Find alternate ways to connect with clients.
Video and Podcast Picks of the Week
📹 Here's the video pick of the week:
- Naoko Takano shows how to validate a translation for a plugin or theme.
🎙️ With everyone that has happened, I haven't had time for many podcasts. But here is one I recommend this week:
- Michelle Frechette spoke with Sebastiaan van der Lans about his two passions: blockchain and WordPress.