How we deploy WordPress themes
Brady Vercher shares on the Cedaro blog how their team deploys WordPress themes.
While researching potential solutions, I had a few goals and loose requirements in mind:
- During development, we should be able to deploy a theme to a testing server so the team is always on the same page.
- We should be able to easily update our demo servers with the latest version of a theme or push a quick bug fix. Running our themes on a live site also helps us discover any issues before pushing a release out to our customers.
- Finally, we should be able to push a tagged release to our distribution repository.
Most of all, the solution needs to be frictionless, so it should be:
- Easy to share among team members
- Easy to configure and maintain
- Reusable between projects
- Secure by not requiring credentials in plaintext or even saved in the repository
- Able to work with our existing tools and not introduce a new technology into our stack
They chose to use an npm tool called Shipit, and the process looks really nice.