We’re looking for an experienced WordPress web developer to develop and maintain our core websites. This will include our main e-commerce site, our Knowledge Base, plugin demos and other internal sites.
Our infrastructure evolves rapidly, and you will be required not only to maintain the existing infrastructure, but develop new website features, fix bugs, develop and customize WordPress themes, implement new processes and tooling, and generally be the ‘go to’ person for our site.
The role also has potential to include support, maintenance and development of our core WordPress plugins depending on your skillset and interests.
Things you’ll be doing
- Developing new website features and bespoke functionality – everything from small CSS changes to a full site builds plus everything in between.
- Building custom functionality plugins.
- Managing website builds and deployment.
- Managing software updates (plugins, WordPress core, PHP, etc).
- Working with our support team to identify and fix website issues.
- Working with our hosting provider to make server changes, debug issues, install SSL certificates and the like.
- Diagnosing and improving website performance.
- Diagnosing email and DNS issues.
- Ensuring the smooth running and maintenance of the plugin demos multisite.
- Proactively identifying, recommending and implementing opportunities to improve all aspects of the website.
You will need
- 4+ years WordPress development experience.
- Experience developing and customising for Easy Digital Downloads and core EDD extensions.
- Good understanding of Advanced Custom Fields.
- In-depth knowledge of the WordPress database.
- Experience diagnosing and improving website performance.
- Good knowledge of email deliverability.
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to respond quickly to communication and keep others appraised of your progress.
- Proven track record of working independently without direct supervision.
Nice to have
- Experience working with Gravity Forms, CloudFlare and MailChimp
- Experience with MailGun or other email deliverability software.
- Experience with DeployHQ.
- Experience of automated deployments, automated testing, CI.
- Experience building a WordPress multisite.
How your role could develop
Your role has potential to expand into development and maintenance of Barn2’s plugins. Some of the things you could be working on in future are:
- Developing new features in our core plugins.
- Fixing bugs and diagnosing support issues.
- Testing and releasing Barn2 plugin updates.
You’ll report to
Your direct line manager will be Katie, our Operations Director. You will work closely with our Andy as Technical Director, as well as working collaboratively with colleagues at all levels and experts in all functions. We will work with you to make sure you have everything you need to be successful in this role.
- Full time position, approximately 40 hours per week.
- Fully remote working.
- Working with a minimum 3 hours overlap with UK time (GMT).
We will pay a competitive salary for a WordPress web developer based on your level of experience and location. Example salary ranges are:
- High cost of living (e.g. San Francisco, Sydney, London) – $65,000 – $80,000 USD
- Average cost of living (e.g. Berlin, Lisbon, Lyon) – $40,000 – $60,000 USD
- Low cost of living (e.g. Buenos Aires, Manila, Cape Town) – $25,000 – $35,000 USD
To earn the upper end of the range, you would need to be very experienced with Easy Digital Downloads customization, theme and plugin development.
We are offering a flexible benefits package. The exact details will depend on your location.
- Remote working with a flexible work schedule.
- Generous salary based on location and experience.
- Yearly training budget of $1,000 and access to ongoing off-site training/conferences
- 25 days holiday.
- Performance-related bonus.
- Apply online at https://barn2.com/about/careers/job-application. Please provide evidence that you have everything described in the job description, your CV and a copy of a theme you have written.
- If you are successful at the first round of applications then we will request two references, followed by phone/video interview.
- If you are successful at interview then we will ask you to work on a trial project before making a final decision. This would be on a freelance basis and we would pay for your time.