Penske Media Corporation (PMC) is a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator. Our brands include Variety, Rolling Stone, The Hollywood Reporter, Billboard, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Deadline, Sportico, BGR, ARTnews, Fairchild Media, Vibe, IndieWire, Dirt, Gold Derby, Spy.com, and many others. Additionally, PMC owns several cultural events such as SXSW, LA3C, and Life is Beautiful. We are not an agency; we own and operate these brands.
PMC's technology team is remote-friendly and semi-distributed. That means some positions are fully remote, some have in-office requirements, and people who want to work in an office can take advantage of our flexible work-from-home policy. Our offices are located in Los Angeles and New York. We can hire in the US and can contract worldwide.
We believe that everyone on the team contributes and has room for growth. Some of the ways we do this include:
- Equitable salary and career advancement
- Work/life balance (yes, really)
- We don't look for culture fit: we want you to add to our culture
- Annual in-person team summit + community service day
- Team-led groups (PMC Tech Women, engineering book club, working groups, team talks, mentorship)
- Company-wide Affinity Groups (Asian American & Pacific Islander, Black, Jewish, Latino/a/e, Loved Ones with Disabilities, LGBTQ + Friends, Parenting, Veterans)
- PMC's 2% Foundation provides opportunities and paid time off to volunteer with charitable organizations in our communities throughout the year
We are eager to learn from you, as we recognize that everyone's individual background and experiences make the team better. Many of our team have been here longer than 5–10 years; PMC's sustained (and sustainable) growth constantly provides new, interesting challenges.
About This Role
We are looking for an experienced software engineer with a focus on front-end technology and design systems to join our team. The main responsibilities of this role will be to lead web projects such as large-scale feature rollouts and redesigns with a secondary focus of helping to drive the future of our front-end technology. At various times you will be working on projects to implement the design system and others be working to expand it.
We need you to help us maintain great, high-quality websites and collaborate with a team of talented people who are thoughtful, inclusive, respect each other, and who tackle hard problems. As a senior contributor, we want you to be someone who helps the web move forward. Industry thought leadership, such as contributing to industry working groups and/or major open-source projects are strongly encouraged.
While this post is for Principal Software Engineer, we are open to hiring at another level for the right candidate.
- Develop interactive front-end features for our websites using current standard technologies and frameworks
- Creating tools, processes, and code that will be shared across dozens (or hundreds) of sites, and maintained by multiple teams
- Develop UI to match mockups and wireframes
- Help lead cross-browser compatibility and performance, with heavy emphasis on automated testing
- Identify and suggest new ways to improve our development processes to help meet overall team and project goals
- Follow company guidelines and keep a high standard of code quality
- Create technical documentation and specs on an as-needed basis for your projects
You do not need to check every box for the experience below. If you are passionate about this opportunity, we would love to hear from you.
- Advanced use of CSS, and respect for CSS as a programming language
- Experience with design systems
- Knowledge of how the web works and how to make it efficient (HTTP/S, caching, page rendering, etc.)
- Deep understanding of cross-browser development, mobile browser behavior, browser feature support, and Core Web Vitals
- Experience with PHP, WordPress, and Twig
- Experience developing WordPress at scale
- Good understanding of frontend SEO and accessibility standards
- Enthusiasm for Agile principles and values
- Ability to work with distributed teams
- Enjoy debugging complex problems
- Proven record of delivering on your commitments and communicating risks
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including communicating with VP and SVP-level executives
- Experience with website development in the media, entertainment, or publishing industries
The Hiring Process
Your resume will be reviewed within a week of us receiving it. Every interview round is designed to give you an opportunity to meet members of our team and ask questions. The first round will be with the Senior Director of Editorial Technology and will focus on general engineering. The second and third rounds are more focused on specifics, with one being deeper technical questions and the other focusing more on how you like to work. Occasionally there will be a fourth round with a senior member of our team. There are no coding tests, brain teasers, or algorithm challenges. We want to know about you, how you think, and what working with you will be like.