XWP has collaborated on some of the most ambitious and successful WordPress projects and partnered with the likes of Google, News Corp, and Penske Media Corporation (PMC) to bring richer technologies and delightful user experiences to the open web.
Our team of 100+ experts (from 30+ countries and 6 continents) enjoy challenging work, service-focused and collaborative teammates, and many opportunities to grow and learn. We have a passion and enthusiasm for what we do and a sincere care for each other and our clients.
The Principal Engineer is responsible for defining and developing the technical vision of projects across the organization and ensuring the code being delivered is accurate and of substantial quality. They also take on the role of project lead for some of our most complex and challenging projects.
Who You Are
- You are an enthusiastic WordPress advocate
- You are fueled by a balanced blend of humility and confidence
- You have a demonstrated appetite for continued learning, creativity, and problem-solving
- You value autonomy and have the self-management skills to operate dependably in a fully remote role
- You’re an excellent communicator, both written and verbal
- You strongly resonate with XWP’s values of giving, mastery, and teamwork
What You’ve Done
- You’ve led the technical direction of large scale and long term WordPress projects
- You’ve actively participated in giving feedback and guiding less experienced developers to follow best practices through code reviews
- You’ve built complex custom WordPress plugins from scratch
- You’ve contributed to or built internal tools to help your team’s productivity, velocity, and communication
Experiences that we also value but aren’t requirements:
- You’ve led a team of 5+ engineers
- You’ve invested heavily in developing, coaching, and mentoring engineers by working on growth plans, personal improvement plans, via 1:1s, and the like.
- You’ve actively participated in hiring engineers, including sourcing, interviewing, evaluating, and onboarding
You have proven success building scalable engineering teams, including structure, culture, processes, and documentation
What You’ll Do at XWP
- Provide Technical leadership
- Lead out some of our most complex and challenging large scale enterprise WordPress projects
- Write clear, readable, maintainable, production-ready code and provide in-depth code review to team members.
- Take responsibility for organizational practices and processes and their continuous improvement by providing leadership within an area of specialization.
- Foster a culture of mentoring and support others in their growth as mentors.
- Promote big picture prioritization, clearly communicated expectation setting, and cost-vs-value economic thinking across the organization
Be An Engaged Team Member
- Deliver praise and constructive feedback across the organization and work to foster a culture of seeking out feedback and using it as a tool for growth.
- Demonstrate the cultural value of effective communication: Identifying the audience and listening to understand.
- Foster a culture of documentation and knowledge sharing, where people are encouraged to share in a respectful manner.
- Understand and work at a strategic level, influencing decisions to achieve organizational alignment on major goals and ensure successful implementation
- Actively seek to create or redefine roadmaps across the organization with project & business counterparts.
What Success Looks Like
- Growing the percentage of projects using the tools and processes from our documented best practices
XWPs tools and processes are helping our team, our clients, and the greater WordPress community
- Client projects delivered on time and on budget
- Act as an empowered expert and leader in one or more area specializations: Technical, Growth, Solutions, or Implementation
- Contribute to our community in a visible way, further establishing expertise and leadership
- Proposed deliverables and solutions are completed across the organization
- Engineers feel supported to deliver quality solutions and code efficiently
- You’ve invested in learning and developing your skills.
- You’re actively engaged with our community
Payscale & Benefits
- Trust and support from your colleagues (we look out for each other and work together towards our shared goals and vision)
- The rewards of a highly collaborative culture (we’re a team, not a working group)
- Remote work done right! High levels of flexibility, skip the commute, time to invest in family, caregiving, and interests outside of work
- The chance to play an important part in helping XWP achieve its full potential and make a meaningful difference for our clients, team members and the open web.
- An expected starting annual salary range of USD $110,000 to $130,000 with an earning potential of up to $150,000. Contractor rates of $60-$80/hr with an earning potential of up to $90/hr over the course of time in the role.
- Unleash+ allowance of $2,500 per year to enrich your life, and other benefits.
XWP is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members. We’re proud of the high levels of inclusion that our distributed team reports and we work hard to support each individual doing their best work together at XWP.
Apply now (link below) and tell us about yourself, what this role will mean to you, and why you are who we’re seeking. If you’re not the person we are looking for, please share this with anyone you know who might be!
To apply for this job please visit join.xwp.co.