Sarah Gooding talked with Ryan McCue on WP Tavern about his Google Summer of Code project to build a JSON REST API for WordPress. This is a great project, and Ryan is the perfect person to lead it, in my opinion. I can't wait to see the final results, and as he mentions in the post, it's going to be huge for people taking WordPress to the next level.
Pagelines just released their “DMS” (Design Management System). A couple of reviews have already popped up. I’d start here with Leland’s at ThemeLab. Of course, you may want to first ask yourself whether you need a drag and drop theme to start with. : )
Tom McFarlin has written another useful post on the wpTuts+ blog. He reminds us to stick to the WordPress coding standards for our naming conventions and function arguments. As you start working with other developers on projects, or see your own code for the first time in six months, these easy-to-implement standards will be your…
If you want to upgrade your site from ASP, Joomla, Drupal, HTML etc to WordPress you can follow the following steps in order to preserve your SEO rank and traffic.
All the new developments this week at WordPress.org that WordPress product and service providers need to know.
Good ideas for the future of data disclosed to plugin authors using the wordpress.org repository:
1) Identify surges of unhappy users reacting to a bad release — and the opposite, happier outcome.
2) Use pageview analytics to estimate total potential user interest and conversion rates.
3) Assess a plugin’s performance with the .org search algorithm, the quality of releases, and plugin incompatibility as well as PHP compatibility issues.
4) Collect significant user behavior data anonymously without phoning home.
5) Just reveal all the raw data with privacy options for individual authors — no interpretive analysis on wordpress.org.
BONUS: Let’s take this discussion somewhere else!
Up this week on WP Tavern‘s Jukebox with Nathan Wrigley, it’s Sean Blakely with the story of the transition to Gutenberg in a large agency, American Eagle. I’ve expected to see stories like this — for years. It seems they’re a little later in coming than anticipated, but it’s a good sign. At the same…