PHPStorm got a ton of backlash recently for announcing a switch to an Adobe Creative Cloud style subscription. Now, they’ve backtracked and put some really good policies in place, I think:
- We are moving forward with subscriptions with important adjustments.
- You will receive a perpetual fallback license once you pay for a year up front or 12 consecutive months.
- You will receive up to 40% discount for continuous subscription.
- You will be able to use the software without an Internet connection.
- Current customers with active or recently expired upgrade subscription get first two years of subscription for the price of one.
- We still recommend you take 10 minutes to read it all for the complete details.
Good on them for making it right for existing customers, and putting some protections in place for new customers.