WDS is searching for a Backend Engineer to join our Engineering team.
Do you enjoy working with the server-side logic of web applications and WordPress websites? Are you enthusiastic to push the web forward, and better yourself? We are also passionate about the web here at WebDevStudios, so let’s chat.
Qualities that matter to our team
- Have a positive attitude, a good work ethic, and enjoy helping others.
- Individuals who are not afraid to ask for help, is teachable, a quick study, and has the ability to be flexible when “stuff happens.”
- Understand the importance of deadlines and can complete a variety of tasks throughout the week.
- Is willing to participate in company paid training courses to further their skills and contribute back to open-source technologies.
- Is comfortable communicating via Slack and participating in video calls with their team and leadership while working remotely.
You are primarily responsible for developing and modifying the data layer and application logic of WordPress themes and web applications according to specifications determined by the client and defined a Lead Engineer during a Discovery Phase.
Backend Engineers work alongside Frontend Engineers, Project Leads, Project Managers, and other partners during the entire development lifecycle of a project, as well as a supporting the project after it ships.
Here are some technologies you’ll be working with:
Your primary responsibilities
- Assist Frontend engineers with the server-side web application logic and data while following WDS Code Standards.
- Optimize web applications and assets for maximum speed, scalability, and maintainability.
- Meet documented deadlines and complete tasks in accordance to project milestones.
- Work directly with Senior or Lead Engineers on feature validation and code reviews.
- Communicate the status of your work to Project Managers and participate in a project team and department calls.
- Keep an accurate record of your time with our time tracking software.
- Be available during normal business hours.
Minimum job requirements
- You have 2+ years professional experience as a Backend Engineer.
- You have a strong grasp of WordPress theme and plugin structure, template hierarchy, template tags, custom post meta, internationalization, and escaping/sanitization of data.
- You are knowledgeable in writing performant data queries.
- You have a strong understanding of Git (GitHub) version control and branching strategies.
- You have a strong comprehension of PHP and object-oriented programming (OOP) practices.
- Experience with MySQL.
- Experience with accessibility standards.
- Experience using the terminal/command line.
- Experience with build tools such as Composer, Webpack and Gulp.
It’s not required, but experience or interest in learning the following would be nice:
- Automattic’s starter theme, _s or our starter theme, wd_s
- WebDevStudios plugin generator
- WordPress plugins like: Advanced Custom Fields
- Beaver Builder
- Gravity Forms
- Yoast SEO
- REST APIs, especially the WordPress REST API
- Gutenberg / Block Editor
- Dress code: pajamas, if you like.
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
- Full-time employees enjoy benefits such as Medical/Dental/Vision, Paid Time Off, 401K, and more!
- Pay rate is based on experience and abilities.
- Lots and lots of informal GIF sharing.