In this episode, Joe and Brian discuss WordPress themes, the functionality people put into them, and the challenges that face the WordPress ecosystem with the current state of theming.
Welcome to the Post Status Draft podcast, which you can find on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, and via RSS for your favorite podcatcher. Post Status Draft is hosted by Joe Hoyle — the CTO of Human Made — and Brian Krogsgard.
In this episode, Joe and Brian discuss WordPress themes, the functionality people put into them, and the challenges that face the WordPress ecosystem with the current state of theming. They also discuss various theme frameworks and how they are setup, common post types and how they can better be supported, and the popularity of page builders.
- What should a theme do?
- Theme vs. Plugin functionality — and mobility potential between themes
- Canonical post types
- Difference between commercial themes and .org distributed free themes
- All-in-one solution “promises”
- Page builders and their role in theming
- Other theme options via the REST API
- On WordPress themes and frameworks
- CSS Zen Garden
- Hybrid Core
- WordPress.com and Jetpack should lead the way to standardizing CPTs
The WP101 Plugin frees your time, enabling you to focus on what you do best, while providing our popular WordPress 101 tutorial videos directly in your client's dashboard. You can even add your own videos! Go to wp101plugin.com for more information, and thanks to WP101 for being a Post Status partner.