Automattic Bets Big on the Future of Messaging
- Automattic has aquired Texts, a universal messaging app, for $50M.
- Texts unifies communication across WhatsApp, Instagram, LinkedIn, iMessage, Signal, and includes interesting AI integrations.
- Mullenweg: “Self-publishing, commerce, and messaging covers a good chunk of all human activity, and they’re also three areas where I think an open-source solution is necessary for the long term.”
- Texts currently has a waitlist for free access, or skip the wait with a paid subscription ($15/mo or $150/yr)/
- Could a universal messaging tool like Texts streamline your communication?
What does a $1 Million WordPress Site Look Like?
- An excellent video interview from Jamie Marsland with Tom Willmott and Adrian McShane from HumanMade about the rebuild of TechCrunch.com.
- $300,000 for design work for visual appeal and performance.
- $200,000 for infrastructure for traffic capacity and speed.
- $500,000 for development and content migration.
- Hear the story of how project goals evolved during through the 6+ month process, increasing scope and budget.
WordPress Global Sponsorship Program Raises Costs for 2024
- To support the expansion of in-person events, the WordPress Community Team has increased fees for the 2024 Global Community Sponsorship Program.
- Gold sponsorship levels rose from $130k to $145k, Silver $95k to $115k, Bronze $80k to $90k.
- So far in 2023, in-person events have rebounded: 270 dormant meetups reactivated, 500k+ active participants in events, 60+ WordCamps this year (up from 20 in 2022).
- Have you reconnected to the in-person WordPress community? What are you waiting on?
Worth a Look
State of the Word, Live from Madrid on December 11
Post Status Black Friday / Cyber Monday WordPress Deals are Here! Check out the list (or add your deal if you have one).
OpenAI Ventures into Chip Development to Meet Their High Demand
HTTP/3 and the Future of the Web