What’s Your Legacy?
I’ve often said that I hope my legacy is that when people think of me they think “what a kind person she is.” And that someday, long after I’m no longer walking the earth, those who knew me will think of me fondly for the good I’ve done.
But I’m also ok with the fact that most people are only a name on someone’s genealogy tree two or three generations in the future and no longer have a story that’s told to others. I don’t expect to have shattered the world in a big way, but to have laid the trail for others to surpass me and do even bigger and more amazing things. I like to think that the work I do today means that others will succeed wildly in the future.
But that said… how cool would it be to have a website that’s still around in 100 years? If I had infinite wealth, I could make that happen.
Sales of the 100-year plan so far: 0. Hundreds of people filled out the form, though. I think we really messed something up in the follow-up, including not making it self-serve to start. Will review and try again. It’s an important promise to us.Matt Mullenweg, November 14, 2023
Kathy Zant and I talked about it on our WP Motivate podcast awhile back. I’m still thinking about it – not from a purchase point of view (I don’t have infinite wealth) – but from a legacy point of view.
I do hope that in 100 years some of the crumb trails I’ve laid during my lifetime will be followed and that even though I won’t see what happens, I’m trusting that amazing things will come from them.
And no, I’m not going anywhere yet. But having recently had another birthday (last month), it just got me thinking about it. 55 hits differently.
What do you hope your legacy is?
Black Friday Deals!
Check out all the deals on our Black Friday Deals page. So much good stuff in there!
Join Us on Meetup
Join us for our Meetups! Details on our Meetups are available on our Meetup page.
- December Professionals Meetup 12/12
- December Product Owners Meetup 12/13
- December Agency Owners Meetup 12/14
- Do the Woo Podcast: Keeping Your Site Secure for the Holidays and Beyond with Rob Cairns and Dan Knauss
- Accessibility Craft Podcast: Limiting Ingredients for Faster, More Accessible Designs with Gen Herres
- WPTavern Blog: WordPress 2024 Roadmap: 3 Major Releases with a Focus on Collaboration Features
- WordPress Blog: State of the Word 2023 – Madrid, Spain
- StellarWP Blog: Mastering Black Friday: Your Guide to Maximizing Affiliate Marketing Success
- Pressable Blog: Understanding PHP Workers: How They Impact Your WordPress Site’s Performance
- Nov 17-18: WordCamp Verona
- Nov 18: WordCamp Hong Kong
- Nov 25-26: WordCamp Islamabad, Federal Govt, Pakistan
Photo of the Week
Today’s photo of the week comes from sharankrishna on WordPress Photos.