WordPress Business News and Insights
According to the CMS chapter of the just-released 2022 Web Almanac from the HTTP Archive, sites using a CMS — and WordPress — are still steadily increasing globally, and 34% of all the sites with an identifiable CMS were using a page builder. WordPress comes in at the bottom of the pack, however, when it comes to non-mobile device performance as measured by Core Web Vitals. For mobile, only Adobe Experience Manager performed worse — and by quite a margin. In terms of Lighthouse performance scores, WordPress was on par with its peers. MORE →
⛅️ This week’s WordPress Weather Report from Ellipsis: WordPress is up 0.02 to -0.02 under the baseline while WooCommerce holds steady at +0.02. 📈
WP.cloud has been flying under the radar for a while. At the WP Minute, Matt Medeiros spoke with Jesse Friedman, Director of Innovation at Automattic, to learn more. WP Cloud is a Platform as a Service (PaaS) built on the hosting infrastructure that’s behind WordPress.com, Pressable, and WordPress VIP with GridPane soon to follow. Agencies that want to white label their client hosting are ideal customers for WP Cloud via GridPane. In Post Status Slack, there’s been a hearty discussion about where WP Cloud fits in the hosting industry and why you might want (or not want) to use it. MORE →
Chuck Grimmett, who is on Automattic‘s Special Projects team for WordPress.com, “did some data exploration around WordPress core contributors and the companies they work for.” Chuck breaks down the data in detail with several tables on his blog. The results point toward nearly 20% of contributors being sponsored for the 6.0 release, assuming they were sponsored by the same company during that entire time. MORE →
- Lawrence Ladomery has launched WP Biz Dev, “the first job board dedicated exclusively to Marketing and Sales roles for WordPress businesses.” MORE →
- Last week, Steve Burge asked on Twitter, “how many female-run WordPress companies are there?” A big list emerged in the replies. READ →
- Natasha Golinsky hosted a great webinar with Post Status for Agencies: Getting Paid for Discovery. Now Natasha has launched a Facebook group for women who own creative agencies: Management Code: Management Skills for Female Creative Agency Owners. JOIN →
- WP Tavern: WooSesh — the virtual conference for WooCommerce professionals and store builders — has posted the schedule for their upcoming three-day event beginning on October 11. DEETS →
- Do_the Woo: All You Should Know About the WooCommerce Agency Partner Program.
- At WP Mayor, Mark Zahra asks, “Is deceptive marketing ruining WordPress’s reputation?”
- Iconic: How to Prep Your Ecommerce Store for Black Friday 2022.
- Are you ready for a cookieless future?
- No, Website Quality Score is not (yet) a Google ranking factor.